Thursday, September 24, 2009

Had my first chemo and radiation treatments today. It was a very long day. We got there around 8:10 and they hooked into my port...since there was still some swelling, it was much harder to insert the needle than normal..the swelling should be down by next Wednesday. I was informed that my tumor was somewhat larger than initially anticipated. They decided to adjust my treatment to include radiation on both sides of my neck because the cancer commonly travels to the other side into lymphnodes. No cancer was picked up by the scans; however, my doctor wants to be agressive and not take the chance that there may be some cancer cells sitting on the opposite side and not getting radiation. I was supposed to have my radiation treatment at 11:00, but once they got me to radiation, my radiation doctor did not like exactly how things were looking, so they stopped and I had to go back in around 2:45 once she made the proper adjustments. I did get through my first day, but was very exhausted. I felt a little queezy later on, but that may have just been from being so exhausted and burned out. Patti and I left the cancer center around 4:00ish, but I shouldn't be there that long next Wednesday, I should be out between 1:00 and 2:00. I have my radiation treatments at 8:45 daily, and they last about an hour so I will be done with radiation pretty early. All the staff at the Meadville Cancer Center are wonderful..they explain everything they are doing and always make sure questions are answered if you have any. They like to joke around and make you feel very comfortable...you know me, I love to joke and stir up trouble...and I am already doing that. I have met some wonderful "neighbors" at the center. We all talk and I am getting to know a lot about some very brave people. So far, I am doing pretty good. I know the next several weeks are going to be tough, but I am getting through this. I have good and caring doctors and staff and the best friends and family anyone could ask for. Thank you all for your love and support.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update..........sounds like a very long "first" day, however, it should move more smoothly next time. Keep the faith; YOU ARE LOVED!

    ReplyDelete